james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Finer Logging Control for Mailets/Matchers
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 21:14:22 GMT
Danny,

>>I agree ... so please explain exactly how this "wrapper interface" would
>>differ from the logger facade in org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.  Are
>>you simply saying that you want to put a facade over their facade so that
>>the naming space is part of the Mailet API instead of Avalon?
>>

>Yes, in a nutshell.
>Because other applications which use mailets to process mail might not have
>or want avalon or log4j or whatever.

Avalon is a project. I think you are referring to Logkit.  You will find
that there is a truly excellent abstraction called LogEnabled in the
Avalon-Framework interfaces. We have already implementations for this
that route method invocations to Log4J, LogKit, JDK1.4 logging, The
console and null: This is a really great API for an implementation
neutral API to implicate.

The Avalon-Phoenix container patches such calls thru to LogKit. The
maillet API being evolved naturally will not name Avalon-Phoenix as a
pre-requisite.  JAMES (the reference impl of the maillet API) sits on
Phoenix.

- Paul