james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Mailet API was RE: Finer Logging Control for Mailets/Matchers
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2002 20:37:23 GMT
Paul Hammant wrote:
> I did not mention clone(), and I'll reassert that it is pointless to
> consider instantiation issues for a heavy TCP/IP using tool.

You've now twice made the point that this is a heavy TCP/IP tool as a
reason to not worry about performance related issues.  While it's true
that for a single mail message, network speeds will be the larger
determinant of its delivery time, it is wrong to think that such a
server doesn't have to take performance issues into account.

>> However, it is a bit
>> of a moot point, since the mail object is largely a carrier for
>> javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage, which is not immutable (more on this
>> in a
>> moment).
>>
> Perhaps you should consider a clean MimeMessage interface for your
> maillet API.

I'm sorry, but I consider this is absolutely out of the question.  Years
have gone into that standard and implementation, thousands of people
know it, and there have been no compeling arguments to use a different API.

Also, it's MAILET, not maillet.  Sorry, just my version of your "Avalon"
pet-peeve.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/