james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:51:07 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> [Needless to say, these definitions include only the logging related
> portion]
>
> interface MailetContext
> {
>    org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger getLogger();
>
>    void log(String message);              // deprecated
>    void log(String message, Throwable t); // deprecated
> }
>
> abstract class GenericMailet implements Mailet, MailetConfig
> {
>    void log(String message);              // deprecated
>    void log(String message, Throwable t); // deprecated
>
>    /*
> 	allows getLogger()."cat"(msg[, t]) instead of
>       getMailetContext().getLogger()."cat"(message[, t]);
>
>       implementation may wrap the logger to include
>       config.getMailetName() + ": " in the message
>
>     */
>    org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger getLogger();
> }
>
> Alternative would be to break with the Mailet v1 API entirely, and go with:
>
>    interface Mailet extends org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled
>
> but I'm less inclined in that direction.
>
> Please comment with specific changes (or even rewrites), so we can keep the
> discussion concrete.
>
> 	--- Noel

-1 for Avalon dependency (danny's spoken on this), and -1 for logging in
the mailet API.  I don't believe there is clear enough demand for this,
and the demand I do have seen has varied requirements.

I'd +1 an approach that leaves logging out of the mailet API but
provides a convenient way to get a logger object from the container
(maybe something like
getServletContext().getAttribute("avalon.framework.logger")).

--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com