james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:05:57 GMT
Serge,

>> Alternative would be to break with the Mailet v1 API entirely, and go
>> with:
>>
>>    interface Mailet extends
>> org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled
>>

> -1 for Avalon dependency (danny's spoken on this), and -1 for logging
> in the mailet API.  I don't believe there is clear enough demand for
> this, and the demand I do have seen has varied requirements.

You are misisng the fact that _all_ Avalon-Framework interfaces are
optional.  The barest minimum MAILET API impl is :

  MyMailet implements Mailet {
     Blah processMailRequest(Blah blah) BlahException {
        return null;
     }
  }

You are missing completely the nature and long development & design by
Apache luminaries of the framework interfaces.  The container's role is
to see which of these interfaces the MAILET implements and decorate the
(with method invocations) accordingly.

There is no dependancy.  They are container recognised optionals.  This
is fundamental SoC, with the container decorating with method calls
according to IoC.

> I'd +1 an approach that leaves logging out of the mailet API but
> provides a convenient way to get a logger object from the container
> (maybe something like
> getServletContext().getAttribute("avalon.framework.logger")).

-1  ( I appreciate that according to my original contract with you folks
that my vote on JAMES matters is worthless).

-ph