james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:26:49 GMT
Andrei,

>I think there is still principal question which has to be addressed first.
>The question is: will Mailet be Avalon dependant or not?

Correction: Will the MAILET compatible container recognize optional
Avalon-Framework interfaces or not?

>If Mailet is clean from Avalon then logging can be removed from Mailet API,
>but if Mailets will be Avalonized then logging must (more precisely may) be
>in API.

v.v ?

>Before this is decided no further speculations make sense.
>I don't see anything against Avalonization of Mailets.
>What is the bottom line of this discussion since James runs on the top of
>Phoenix and Phoenix is on the top of Avalon?

Correction: JAMES (the reference MAILET impl) runs on top of
Avalon-Phoenix.  In the future, a proposition is that classes
implementing the MAILET API, _may_ also implement selected interfaces
from the Avalon-Framework APIm which is also part of the Avalon project.

>James (like Mailet API) shall be Avalonized, or... whole James has to be
>rewritten from ground up to keep it consistent with something else than
>Avalon...

So much FUD has been said about some misunderstood project called
'Avalon' which was perfectly good for years of this project, that it is
now esablished as a must-avoid without ever being investigated by those
running from it.

_Please_ could people get their terms right.
* Avalon is a project.
* A-F are interfaces that are a good match for _any_ hosted comps
* Phoenix is a container
* JAMES is the reference impl container for the MAILET API and sits on
Phoenix.

-ph