james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 03:46:31 GMT
Noel,

>>>interface MailetContext
>>>{
>>>  org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger getLogger();
>>>

>>-1  ,  breaks IoC.
>>

>Might surprise you to know that I agree.  However, it follows the current
>patterns used in the Mailet API (borrowed from the Servlet API), so I put it
>out in code for people to discuss.

Agree?  Great, please go the final couple of inches dude then :-)

>>>interface Mailet extends org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled
>>>

>>-1 , breaks SoC.
>>

>You prefer to keep interfaces clean, and compose on a base class, like:
>
>   class AbstractMailet
>         implements Mailet,
>                    org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled
>
>instead.  The container has to inspect the Mailet, since it does not know if
>a Mailet implements LogEnabled.  IF you have a container with that
>capability, it is an appealing construct.

I cannot imagine *any* container written in Java that does not have the
capability to do instanceof.  It is probably a set-once concept.  Please
explain to me your scenario.

>As you must have noted, there seems to be a great deal of resistance to the
>Avalon-ization of the Mailet API.

 From some but not all quarters.

>That seems to be the real issue to
>address.  If these patterns were embedded in javax.frameworks.*, I doubt
>that we'd be having this part of the discussion.

JSR 111?   Hmnm, let me see, Avalon's Framework is shortlisted as a
candidate.

You gunna vote for JDK1.4 logging?  I thought not.

- Paul.