james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 21:11:14 GMT
Noel

>>I am not using [James] logging since we have logging facilities of our own
>>

>If you could have James use YOUR logging facilities, without your having to
>change Jame's code, would you?

He does.  It is a static logger.  Completely compatible with JAMES core,
but not very transportable.  When we move to classloader separated
maillet jars (1..n mailets in one jar), the staticd logger solution does
not work unless the logger classes are mounted in a mutually visible
classloader (like phoenix/libs/).

This is the same problem that people using EJB encounter if the seperate
their beans.

Static logging is fine for a team to choose, it's just that they should
not think their Mailets (I'm not going to say MAILET anymore despite
being instructed to do so ;-) are components worthy of sale.

- Paul