james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:45:00 GMT

Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>
>>> I guess I don't see how specifying a logging API will control developers
>>> and reduce the administrator's chaos.
>>
>> If I have a dozen or more mailets, some of which log via Java logging,
>> some
>> of which use Avalon Frameworks' logging, some of which use other logging
>> mechanisms, the mailet logs will be scattered and disjoint.  I see
>> that as a
>> problem for admins.  If possible, I'd like to avoid that problem.  I do
>> think that it is possible to at least avoid encouraging developers to use
>> alternative logging mechanisms.
>
> Ok, I don't think I can be much more concrete as to why I don't agree.
> Put it this way... go try to convince the Avalon community to integrate
> log4j or even just drop the idea of their own logging API and use
> java.util.logging.  I think your personal direct pleas will have an
> order of magnitude more impact than whatever we put into the mailet API
> (although I'd expected 0 to be convinced either way).

Log4j was evaluated, but
1. it doesn't work with Inversion of Control.
2. it poses a possible security threat in a server environment
3. http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101014079017326&w=2

As for java.util.logging, the same as above + it's jdk1.4 only.

To be clear: the name is "logging", but there are really two cases for it.
One is to test and debug the program. This is done pretty well by the
packages you define.
Another is keeping track of things happening in a server environment,
and in that, Avalon logging, both as an interface and as an
implementation in Logkit.

Keep in mind, that Avalon logging interfaces can use log4j, logkit or
jdk1.4 logging under the hood.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -