james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Finer Logging Control for Mailets/Matchers
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:59:30 GMT
> Looking at the servlet spec, I see that Servlet has no logging in.
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/servletapi/javax/s
> ervlet/Ser
> vlet.html
>
> ServletContext, on the other hand, has it
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.0-doc/servletapi/javax/s
> ervlet/Ser
> vletContext.html#log(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.Throwable)
>
> ServletContext is the object that is used to communicate with the
> container.

And likewise Mailet uses MailetContext to provide services whos
implementation depends upon the container architecture.

In fact the servlet API provides identical (and with no external
dependancies) logging, basic "append a string" to the servers log in an
implementation specific way, that the current Mailet API does, and I tend to
the opinion that this is enough.

Why?
Well inspite of all that has been said I believe that:
1/ the mailet API should have as few external dependancies as possible
preferable none.
2/ the basic logging specified by Mailet1.2 (current) and Servlet2+ is
enough for simple operations, it removes the need for developers building
trivial functionality to factor in their own logging.
3/ it does not preclude developers of complex functionality from building or
using any other logging framework.

The only change I would make would be to include in the MailetContext an
r.o. attribute called "logsRoot" which would hold the path to the containers
suggested location for context specific log files, eg ../logs or
../apps/appname/logs.

d.