james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:07:58 GMT

> I still think it is highly desirable to allow logging at more than one
> level, i.e. the typical error, warn, info and debug. Having followed the
> discussion with varying degrees of interest :), what is wrong with having
> the corresponding methods exposed via the MailetContext?  There's
> no need to
> expose the actual logging mechanism to the mailets themselves, no need to
> create a logging fa├žade and no need to expose Avalon Framework logging
> interfaces to the mailets.

Because then we'd end up having to rip off, or re-invent, a logging
mechanism for ourselves.
Which seems daft.

Any intelligent mailet container will be logging itself, but we don't have
the right to impose another logging mechanism on the developers of that
implementation.
So the choice is either to use a logging framework which can overlay a
number of common logging products, we're discussing parts of
avalon.framework for this role, or to leave logging to the discretion of the
writers of Mailets.

d.