james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Mailet API v2
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2002 07:22:27 GMT
> Define a message delivery API, do it in SOAP, make it language
> neutral, and
> submit it as an RFC.  THEN you'll have something.  A SOAP interface to
> replace SMTP and other message delivery protocols makes sense,
> but the model
> should not be tightly tied to any language or implementation.  My
> objection
> is to an ad hoc protocol entwined with a particular architecture, rather
> than abstract concepts of message delivery.

I don't believe that anyone is considering trying to invent new message
delivery anything.

> That became clear later, and I maintain that THAT is a bad idea.
> Having to
> take into account that any given matcher or mailet could be remote (and
> perforce unreliable) is going to really complicate spool processing, and I
> honestly see no point to it when I can send the message via SMTP or LMTP
> from one mail server to another, just as we do with almost every
> other mail
> server on the planet.

But they all originate somewhere, and I was originally suggesting that James
could originate email as a service for other *Java* applications.

And anyway I think you've made your opposition to this pretty clear now.

d.