james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Threads in James: Re: Tomcat + James in a single jvm process
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2002 13:40:28 GMT

> That said, SMTP is an incredibly
> challenging API not because of its complexity, but because it's been
> around for so long and there are so many liberties other servers take
> with it.

Thats a good point, and one thats reflected in the number of tiny but
significant bugs in both James and JavaMail (not just the SMTP bits).
There are so many idiosyncracies which have crept into the standards and
common practices that it is difficult to handle every "boundary condition"
satisfactorily, it is my opinion that we don't duplicate work done by Sun
wherever possible.

That said I also think that we could improve performance of remote delivery
by batching up mail to be delivered to a single host and delivering it in a
single session.

d.