james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:54:40 GMT
> Because then we'd end up having to rip off, or re-invent, a logging
> mechanism for ourselves. Which seems daft.

Agreed.  Although there is a difference between a mechanism
(implementation), and a standard interface.  In the latter case, container
authors simply have to adapt the standard interface to the "native" logging
mechanism.

> So the choice is either to use a logging framework which can overlay a
> number of common logging products, [or] to leave logging to the
> discretion of the writers of Mailets.

It isn't sufficient to say take that you'll "leave logging to the discretion
of the writers of Mailets", and keep the Mailet API "clean."

If the "writers of Mailets" lack a common INTERFACE to access logging, then
every mailet that needs access to logging will be required to be
platform-specific.

Avalon addresses this in two cooperative parts:

 1. Avalon Frameworks provide common interfaces that components expose
 2. Avalon containers inspect components to see what interfaces they expose,
    and provide them with the services they need.

This means that a vendor specific container can support both components that
use the platform-neutral interfaces, and components that use
platform-specific interfaces.  Component authors are afforded the choice of
platform-independence or additional functionality on a
component-by-component basis.  If a container does support a service, e.g.,
logging, it can simply not provide that service to the component.
Configuration files can provide further refinement over runtime bindings.

Paul will correct me, in sure, if I've gotten any points wrong.

	--- Noel