james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 19:11:06 GMT
[Needless to say, these definitions include only the logging related
portion]

interface MailetContext
{
   org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger getLogger();

   void log(String message);              // deprecated
   void log(String message, Throwable t); // deprecated
}

abstract class GenericMailet implements Mailet, MailetConfig
{
   void log(String message);              // deprecated
   void log(String message, Throwable t); // deprecated

   /*
	allows getLogger()."cat"(msg[, t]) instead of
      getMailetContext().getLogger()."cat"(message[, t]);

      implementation may wrap the logger to include
      config.getMailetName() + ": " in the message

    */
   org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger getLogger();
}

Alternative would be to break with the Mailet v1 API entirely, and go with:

   interface Mailet extends org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled

but I'm less inclined in that direction.

Please comment with specific changes (or even rewrites), so we can keep the
discussion concrete.

	--- Noel