james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:39:02 GMT
> >interface MailetContext
> >{
> >   org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.Logger getLogger();
> -1  ,  breaks IoC.

Might surprise you to know that I agree.  However, it follows the current
patterns used in the Mailet API (borrowed from the Servlet API), so I put it
out in code for people to discuss.

> > interface Mailet extends org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled
> -1 , breaks SoC.

You prefer to keep interfaces clean, and compose on a base class, like:

   class AbstractMailet
         implements Mailet,
                    org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled

instead.  The container has to inspect the Mailet, since it does not know if
a Mailet implements LogEnabled.  IF you have a container with that
capability, it is an appealing construct.

As you must have noted, there seems to be a great deal of resistance to the
Avalon-ization of the Mailet API.  That seems to be the real issue to
address.  If these patterns were embedded in javax.frameworks.*, I doubt
that we'd be having this part of the discussion.

	--- Noel