james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 17:31:42 GMT
> I still think it is highly desirable to allow logging at more than one
> level, i.e. the typical error, warn, info and debug.

I agree.

> what is wrong with having the corresponding methods exposed via
> the MailetContext?  There's no need to expose the actual logging
> mechanism to the mailets themselves

MailetContext.getLogger() does not expose the actual logging mechanism,
either.  Just an object whose contract (interface) supports logging.  If not
the Avalon façade, then some other.

> no need to create a logging façade

Poor design to simply add unrelated methods to things.  If you know what the
methods are, then create the façade.  That way you can narrow the interface
to just that façade as necessary.

> no need to expose Avalon Framework logging interfaces to the mailets.

Need?  None.  We could have a completely self-contained Mailet API that
includes all of the portable contracts.  But that might not be the best way
to do it.  For one thing, as others have argued, why should the Logging API
be part of the Mailet API?  And the answer is that it probably should NOT be
part of the Mailet API.  But SOME Logging API for Mailets should be part of
the Mailet Specification, and Avalon's façade is a good choice.

	--- Noel