james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Mailet API v2
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:51:30 GMT
> Absolutely, thats exactly what I had in mind, an AJP mailet.

You want a remote matcher/mailet interface?  You want to be able to
conceptually run a mailet and matcher in an RMI (concept) server somewhere?
Might I suggest that I view that as a bad idea, in terms of availability and
reliability?

If you want "to expose a spool entry point via RMI and provide a utility
method that would create simple pre-defined MIME messages from strings" ...
well:

  - I can do that with a simple MailBean that either speaks SMTP or wraps
javax.mail.
  - I can use a matcher in the receiving mailet container (James) to put a
message directly into a particular processor.

And I think it would be more reliable to relay the message from one server
to another for special processing, than to try to do RMI in the middle of
the processing chain.  Any problems, e.g., sudden server death, are handled
by the existing spooling and protocols.

What it comes down to is that somewhere along the line, some aspect of
content and behavior is going to be distributed.  You are thinking AJP, Paul
is talking about AltRMI and SOAP.  I'm hanging my case on the RFC and
existing mechanisms.  I don't like inventing new protocols when none seem to
be needed.

	--- Noel