james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 05:32:08 GMT
> An individual changing their mind on a subject or even moving
> slightly can be a good thing.

I do not believe otherwise!  It was just at a point where I felt I needed a
scorecard and a program, so I thought (and appear to have been right) that
applying the rigor of a code definition would help to clarify positions.

> >Regardless of whether or not Mailets are running on a system using Avalon
> >frameworks or not, there is a need for platform-neutral logging
capability.
> I'm confused about the use of the word 'platform'

specification == Servlets
platform      == Tomcat, Weblogic, JRun, et al

specification == Mailets
platform      == James, "WebOvoid Mail", "JWalk", YAJMail

One argument seems to be "don't tie the Mailet API to the James
implementation", thus the only packages permissible are mailets, JavaMail
and core java.  Your argument is that the Avalon Frameworks should be viewed
on equal footing with javax.* packages.

Based upon some of the statements made surrounding JSR 111, it seems clear
that over time there will be significant refactoring to take advantage of
improvements JSR 111 allows to interface design and evolution.

	--- Noel