james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:04:26 GMT
> After Noel admitted that he was just exercising a test starting this
thread

No, wait.  That is a misunderstanding or misrepresentation.  This thread
started first as "Finer Logging", then became "Mailet API", plus there was a
concurrent thread "Mailet API v2", and *THEN* I started this branch to look
specifically at proposals couched in code, because I perceived disconnects
in the conversational approach.

The "Finer Logging" thread started because Andrei expressed a desire to have
more control over logging in matchers and mailets than is exposed to them
now.

The "test" was the nature of the code I proposed.  It modeled one way of
doing things, and intended to elicit a somewhat more directed discourse.

> there seems to be just complete consensus about that there is no extension
> of the Mailet API needed.

This is a question of semantics.  The issue is not the Mailet API, per se,
but the standard set of interfaces available to mailets in an Mailet
Specification compliant container.  Danny's desired list is javax.mail.*,
org.apache.mailet.* and java.*.  I believe that to be demonstrably
insufficient to allow portable mailets (unless org.apache.mailet.* is
expanded).

> Maybe you know alternative Mailet containers, but I don't.
> Maybe you hope to spread the Mailet API as a standard, but I won't.

This is Danny's stated goal.  If we don't have alternative containers, there
is much less of an issue, because James *IS* built on Avalon technologies
(Paul, please note usage: James uses Frameworks, Phoenix, Cornerstore),
rather than how to allow alternative containers.

> I am not using [James] logging since we have logging facilities of our own

If you could have James use YOUR logging facilities, without your having to
change Jame's code, would you?

	--- Noel