james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Mailet API v2
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:31:17 GMT
> Nothing, but it is hardly a Java friendly API.

How so?  Create a mail message, add recipients, subject, content, send to
server.   Easy as pie.  Even without javax.mail (a bit over engineered),
there are ez-mail classes (or wrappers).  I've been using the same simple
MailBean for years with servlets and JSP pages.

> Besides, stategic use of AltRMI or Glue will allow publishing
> of arbiary Java interfaces.  There are a dozen places in JAMES
> code where a niche publication could occur... at no cost of
> developing the remote API.

I am firmly against protocol proliferation when it is unnecessary.  If/when
there is a change from SMTP/IMAP/POP/NNTP to some XML messaging protocol(s),
there would need to be RFCs with the same kind of scope as the current
protocols.  Not ad hoc SOAP or RMI interfaces.

	--- Noel