james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Finer Logging Control for Mailets/Matchers
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2002 22:14:35 GMT
Paul,

I believe that Danny's point is this: "Because other applications which use
mailets to process mail might not have or want avalon ..."

Therefore, he wants an org.apache.mailet.Logger interface, even if the
implementation of MailetContext.getLogger() returns an Avalon object.  The
Mailet Logger API might not differ from the Avalon Logger API, other than to
effectively put it in the "right" package.  So the James implementation can
happily use Avalon, since James is an Avalon applcation, but mailets should
not have to import anything other than org.apache.mailets.*, java.* and
javax.mail.* in order to access the Mailet API.

The Mailet API definition will be interesting later, because such things as
a mailing list mailet want to be able to control the underly mail platform,
not just manipulate message content.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Hammant [mailto:Paul_Hammant@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 17:14
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: Finer Logging Control for Mailets/Matchers

Danny,

>>I agree ... so please explain exactly how this "wrapper interface" would
>>differ from the logger facade in org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.  Are
>>you simply saying that you want to put a facade over their facade so that
>>the naming space is part of the Mailet API instead of Avalon?
>>

>Yes, in a nutshell.
>Because other applications which use mailets to process mail might not have
>or want avalon or log4j or whatever.

Avalon is a project. I think you are referring to Logkit.  You will find
that there is a truly excellent abstraction called LogEnabled in the
Avalon-Framework interfaces. We have already implementations for this
that route method invocations to Log4J, LogKit, JDK1.4 logging, The
console and null: This is a really great API for an implementation
neutral API to implicate.

The Avalon-Phoenix container patches such calls thru to LogKit. The
maillet API being evolved naturally will not name Avalon-Phoenix as a
pre-requisite.  JAMES (the reference impl of the maillet API) sits on
Phoenix.

- Paul