james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [Mailet API] Logging Proposal
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2002 04:27:20 GMT
> >   class AbstractMailet
> >        implements Mailet,
> >                   org.apache.avalon.framework.logger.LogEnabled
> > The container has to inspect the Mailet, since it does not know if
> > a Mailet implements LogEnabled.  IF you have a container with that
> > capability, it is an appealing construct.
> I cannot imagine *any* container written in Java that does not have the
> capability to do instanceof.

You miss understand.  I do not mean that a container is somehow unable to
have the capability.  I simply mean that containers cannot naively assume
that the Mailet interface is the only interface implemented by the object.
They must go through the introspection process not only for possible
"platform-specific" functionality, but also for optional
platform-independent functionality, such as logging.  This is nice way to
add fine grained composition to Java, but it is not a common paradigm SO
FAR.

> From some but not all quarters.

Not from all, but some of them are key.  In any case, the purpose for the
discussion is to look over and discussion the options.

> > If these patterns were embedded in javax.frameworks.*, I doubt
> > that we'd be having this part of the discussion.
> JSR 111?   [Aalon's Framework] is shortlisted as a candidate.

Seems like the best choice I've seen so far.  It is interesting to
contemplate how other Java interfaces might be different if javax.service
had been in place first.

Actually, I would argue that even if Avalon Framework is not accepted, it is
a safe bet to use Avalon's programming approach.  Because whatever is
adopted, post-JSR 111 Phoenix should be able to support both A-F and JSR 111
objects.

	--- Noel