james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Local security issue?
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 21:19:55 GMT
Paul,

> Perhaps passwords should not be echoed to the log.

LOL No kidding.  :-) My initial thought was to alert *current* users of the
potential problem, and advise them of steps they could take immediately.

The code can be changed.  As it stands, logging is at a point where it is
just echoing back the command entered

    private boolean parseCommand(String commandRaw) {
        if (commandRaw == null) return false;
        getLogger().info("Command received: " + commandRaw);

We haven't gotten to the code that does the parsing, so we don't yet know
that the line IS a password.

I can move the log statement to after we parse out the verb.  FWIW, I also
believe that this should be DEBUG, not INFO.

Anyone object to these changes?

	--- Noel