james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Finer Logging Control for Mailets/Matchers
Date Sun, 09 Jun 2002 15:29:56 GMT
Paul,

No ... I understand the difference, although I thank you for the
clarification.  Yes, those are just interfaces.  But they are "Avalon
interfaces" by simple virtue of the package name.  The package is named:

	org.apache.avalon.framework.logger

That is part of the "Avalon" set of packages, even if it is completely
independent of other parts, such as Phoenix.  It isn't, for example,
org.apache.framework.logger.

I am not saying that Danny is right, wrong, or indifferent.  I am saying
that he indicated that he did not want the Mailet API to have any references
to packages other than org.apache.mailet.*, java.* and javax.mail.*.

> You are going to end up with an undeniable knock-off of LogEnabled

No kidding.  As I said, "The Mailet Logger API might not differ from the
Avalon Logger API, other than to effectively put it in the 'right' package."
Note the quotes in my original statement.

I agree that you've made a case for the Mailet API to use the abstract
interfaces defined by the Avalon Framework, on the grounds that they are
purely interfaces, implementation independent, easily be mapped onto other
platforms.

	--- Noel