james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-james/src/conf james-server.xml
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2002 14:44:09 GMT
Sascha,
server XML controls logging, and very little else AFAIK, Stephan kindly
contributed this version, for tidier logging, I assume it works but haven't
actually tried it myself yet. As for the rest of the HEAD I'm pretty certain
it works, but I'm not using it in a real-world setting and suspect it may be
harder to administer than the previous iteration. I had hoped to spend
sometime working on the mailet container, the mailet API and some
classloading issues that I had discussed with Paul Hammant after he moved
James to the newest Phoenix, and other avalon dependancies. However since
then I've been caught up in my day-job, and haven't even had time to review
contributions.

As far as the build is concerned "build" and "build proposals [...]" is the
correct way to build a proposal.

Let us know what changes you've made to IMAP, what they affect, and what
they fix.

If you are going to follow up with IMAP it might be worth reading the mail
archive (try http://nagoya.apache.org) to see what previous contributors to
IMAP have had to say. Then submit patches to this list, remember "diff -u"
are the easiest kind to review and apply.

As for IMAP, I've personally never had any interest in IMAP as an end user,
and voted in favour of it being downgraded to proposal owing to lack of
progress. I'd love to see it advance to a full enough, and stable enough,
state to have it moved back into the main tree, I believe this would spark
usefull feedback for it from users, and a new market for James.
But I'd be concerned if this is going to involve IMAP being a radically
different architecture than the rest of James.

Luck.

d.