james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Open relay with SMTP-AUTH
Date Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:28:33 GMT
Serge,

Instead of an X- header, why can't we add an "authenticatedSender" (pick a
name) property to the mail object?  That kind of metadata would travel with
the object (and clones) within the system, but can't be forged from the
outside.  Does the fact that we authenticated it have any meaning once it
leaves JAMES?  I don't think so.  If it did, that would be part of the RFC.

Back in June, you and I were discussing Matcher <-> Mailet communication,
and you mentioned that you wanted to add Mail.setAttribute() /
Mail.getAttribute() to the Mailet API.  Do you want me to add this now, or
add a fixed property?

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:sergek@lokitech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 22:53
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: Open relay with SMTP-AUTH

Yeah, I agree.  I never quite understood how SMTP AUTH was implemented
effectively because there isn't an easy way to do that.  I don't know...
maybe add an "X-" header to the message itself to record that it's
authenticated (and make sure there isn't one there already).  But yeah,
I agree with Noel's idea.

--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/