james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Further Development...
Date Fri, 26 Jul 2002 17:58:21 GMT
Peter,

Thanks for the thought (really, that's quite an honor to be considered), but
I can think of better candidates at the moment.  I haven't really be on the
list all THAT long, I'm not knowledgeable on the Apache Foundation's
policies and workings, and I'm neither a CVS nor Avalon Frameworks expert.
Plus I have a lot on my plate, too.  Most critically, vetting a lot of other
people's code isn't something I currently have time to do, which is one of
the responsibilities of a committer, as I understand the procedure.

One of the things that we, collectively, haven't done well as a group is
critique code.  Code gets submitted, and we wait for the maintainers to
commit it (or not).  I did take the time to privately suggest some problems
with an approach someone took to fix a problem, but he didn't take the time
to address the issue, I haven't had time to finish fixing his fixes, and ...

Look, the bottom line is that COLLECTIVELY we need to work together better.
If we were all a bit more active critiquing code, getting people to polish
their patches, helping each other out with even little things, then the
maintainers would have a lot less work to do.  And if we have more people
contributing even a little, then it won't hurt as much when the big engines
go off-line for other work.  We've got too many riders sitting in the
pelaton, and not enough people willing to help set the pace, even for a few
minutes.

Hopefully we'll hear from Danny and Serge soon.  I hope that nothing other
than being swamped on other things has been keeping them quiet.

	--- Noel