james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: SMTP RFCs
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 04:49:23 GMT

Steve,

There are a number of points where James is not in compliance.  For
example, neither the VRFY nor EXPN command codes are supported.  This
puts us in conflict with section 4.5.1 which requires VRFY, as well as
number of other parts of the RFC which refer to servers not supporting
these commands as "not being in full compliance with the specification".
There are security/spam issues related to these particular commands, but
James should at least be configurable to allow support for these
commands.

There are a number of other places where compliance is somewhat shaky.
Specifically the issue of handling null reverse-path messages (there is
an open bug here and has been some recent discussion on this list) is a
concern.  Loop detection is another area where there's been discussion
but we're probably not in complete compliance (section 6.2).  Both
proper support for a postmaster address as discussed in the RFC as well
as proper handling of case sensitivity are areas where I suspect James
has minor problems.

That said, I suspect James is pretty solid on the rest.

It should also be noted that James doesn't support any SMTP extensions.
This doesn't put us in violation of RFC 2821 (although there is a SHOULD
regarding the 8BITMIME extension), but is certainly something that will
need a little work.

--Peter