james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Benett <char...@benett1.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Further Development...
Date Sun, 04 Aug 2002 15:11:17 GMT
Sascha Kulawik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Ive already written to this Mailinglist about the further Development.
> (It's because the Summer-Hole ? :)
> I would like to help developing James, especially the IMAP Port.

Great!

> Are here any Maintainer they could tell me, how I can help to work on it
> ?

I did the initial work almost 18 months ago. Although it has been
altered in CVS since then. I probably would approach the problem quite
differently now. You might be better off taking a clean sheet approach.

> Also I'm interested, why James isn't based on the JavaMail API.
Bits of it are, especially mailets. But the JavaMail API is largely the
client side of mail not the server side.
If you can see places where using the JavaMail API is an improvement,
please point them out.

> I've
> seen the problem with the Store and the old IMAP Implementation - a
> Mailserver based on the JavaMail API would help to develop different
> Protocolls and also to develop different Stores...
That's not very specific.

Charles Benett