james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Philipp Taprogge <Philipp.Tapro...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: SMTP RFCs
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 13:56:15 GMT
Hello again!

Thomas Jachmann wrote:
> Something like matchers/denyers where
> denyers deny the acceptance of a mail and supply the error code and message
> that should be sent back to the client.

Which would be nothing other than what all otehr SMTP servers do: first
check whether a mail should be accepted at all and return an appropriate
response to the client, then process the mail and deliver it.

Basically this sounds like a good idea because it gives the client more
feedback on what is happening with it's message.

Being a network administrator myself, I fear that jamses policy of
accepting all messages and then silently dropping those it does not like
will be like hell when looking for misconfigurations...

When a server rejects a message with an appropriate error code, the
client instantly knows what's happening. Those responses are easily
parsable by the client, too.
Even if you configure james to send a notification after it discarded a
message, you still need user interaction. My apologies if I seriously
misunderstand the way james is supposed to work here, but this approach
simply does not sound to intelligent to me...

Best regards

		Philipp Taprogge