james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Vincent Keunen <vincent.keu...@manex.be>
Subject Re: Next question.. (was: Should we remove ant? )
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2002 18:49:12 GMT
I have read quite a bit and played a little with Maven: it looks pretty
interesting.  Its goal is to standardize jakarta projects developments
(while Forrest seems to be related to web publishing only).  It seems to
be getting more and more acceptance:
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/powered.html

I installed it: very easy: download, unpack, set 2 env. vars and that's
it!  I was also pretty impressed by the first launch: it got a number of
standard jar files it needed from a server (commons modules, logging,
regexp,... most from jakarta).

I did modify the sample projects.file for one of our projects: easy too.
 Now I'm trying to solve a compiling problem, but otherwize, it looks great.

The documentation on the site is pretty good for a young project...

I'll keep studying the tool, but it seems nice (and the people working
on it seem to be bright...)