james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: about javadocs (was: Re: FW: What do we need to release 2.1?)
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 01:34:43 GMT
I totally disagree with just about everything Noel said except for the
end.  Development builds "milestone builds" or whatever, should not be
delayed for quality concerns.  It just can't be blessed as a release.

As long as everyone understands that documentation is as important as
code and that poorly documented code is just pure rat dung.  IF you
don't Javadoc, you are a crappy no good developer.  Code complete, means
docs too.

Noel, you're wrong, once releases are the "gold standard" developers
care.  What good is a release to a user if he can't make hide nor hair
of it?  If I weren't a semi-decent Java developer I couldn't even set up
JAMES.  That puts JAMES a bit behind most other mail servers.  If a
developer doesn't care about that, then there isn't much he could care
about.  I've seen projects where the documentation was tied to the
*real* release and the developers DID care.

-Andy