james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Schiessling...@rapi.com>
Subject Re: IMAP - New CVS Repository
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:27:22 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:
> Sascha,
> Its up to you of course, but I'm not sure that forking the code would be a good idea.

Yes, a code fork is a bad idea, but this is not a code fork.
The separate CVS repository was my idea and I still think it is a good idea.
The code, which goes into official IMAP repository must be reviewed by a commiter and it has
to be stable.
I generally support this model, because it has advantages, but it blocks the current development
for IMAP.

For development and testing IMAP code, it is important to have the latest code.
For that, we can use a separate CVS repository for IMAP, which provides latest even completely
unstable
IMAP code. If there is again a somehow stable code, it will be commited to official CVS repository
in the usual way.
This way commiters are not bothered to much, the "stable code requirement" is fulfilled and
development for latest code is guaranteed. Therefore I think it is a good idea.

I convinced Sascha Kulawik, to use this new (still not existing) repository, and I will use
it too.
Is there anybody else, who wants to use it, and is there anybody who does not want to use
it ?

I consider the currently unstable IMAP code as biggest disadvantage of James. We must
fix this as soon as possible, and I think the IMAP code should move from proposals into main
trunk
as soon as possible.

Stephan Schiessling

> And if you wanted to be a commiter to James you would have to have contributed something
first, submit your changes to IMAP, let everyone judge them, if they take IMAP forward perhaps
someone will propose you.
> If not *then* you can fork the code.
> d.

up a CVS Repository only for the IMAP tree of james. Thats needed because there will be more
developers for IMAP (as seen today), and we want to organize our code (to get it working 4
james :)
>>Sorry, I had to work for my  examination so I had not enough time for working on the
buglist (but tomorrow ist over :)