james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Schiessling...@rapi.com>
Subject Re: IMAP - New CVS Repository
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2002 18:44:13 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>I think some of the problem is that you don't currently
>>have a commiter to champion you
>

> I don't know WHAT the problem is, actually, other than perhaps an incorrect assumption
on their part.  The code that they have submitted IS in the repository.  The last code submitted
(except Andrew's from yesterday) was put into the CVS within 24 hours.  Since it is in proposals/,
I suppose that if all of the active IMAP contributors asked that the code in that part of
the structure be "fast tracked", committers such as yourself would be obliging, so long as
they didn't create a problem amongst themselves.  It certainly sounds that way from what you
and Charles have said.

The code was commited at 9. or 10. August. Now we have the 24. August. I think a lot of code
has changed now.

There are other persons, who like to contribute, but I think they have the same problem like
I have.
They just wait for the next release ....
One of the principles of open source development is "release as often as possible".

A release withing 24 hours is nice, but that is not the average.

Charles Benett made an interesting point: In proposals the code must only compile.
Then it is possible to release code more often.
But what happens to the James class ? This is part of the main trunk. Then we maybe have to
change build
again to that what was used before: First copy all source files into build/ directory, so
that it is possible
to change them by a proposal.

Stephan Schiessling