james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: IMAP - New CVS Repository
Date Sat, 24 Aug 2002 13:39:19 GMT

> Yes, a code fork is a bad idea, but this is not a code fork.

if two seperate repositories exist, and developers can work independantly on either one it
is a fork, whether its intended or not.

> The code, which goes into official IMAP repository must be
> reviewed by a commiter and it has to be stable.

As Charles pointed out if its a proposal it doesn't have to be, it doesn't have to work, only
build.
Even the HEAD doesn't have to work at any given time, only at release time.

> For development and testing IMAP code, it is important to have
> the latest code.

for which you only need timely application of patches.

> I consider the currently unstable IMAP code as biggest
> disadvantage of James.

An opinion your entitled to, and one that puts you in the frame for developing it.

> and I think the IMAP code should
> move from proposals into main trunk
> as soon as possible.

This is dependant on a vote by existing commiters, and will depend upon the stability and
functionality of the code in proposals, and *also* on the existence of people prepared to
support it and handle the inevitable bugs. Something that can't be measured if the development
is driven by an "off site" team.

Don't think I'm against seing IMAP advance, I'm not. I'd like to see it, you and Sascha being
involved *here* in developing and supporting IMAP, and using that experience to advance the
James core, and feed into the other protocols.

I think some of the problem is that you don't currently have a commiter to champion you, but
don't despair things tend to move slowly round here (or in fits and starts), its a symptom
of OSS development, but keep the pressure on us and you will succede.

d.