james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Jachmann" <hot...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: SMTP RFCs
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:56:06 GMT
Hi!

Philipp Taprogge wrote:
> Can't james just keep the connection open until the incoming mail has
> been processed and _then_ send the status to the client?

I think the problem with delaying the response to the client until the mail
was processed by the matchers/mailets is that this might take a while on
high load mail servers for as I understand it, spooling is an asynchronous
process. Maybe it is a good idea to create a separate kind of spoolmanager
configuration that works synchronously and just takes care of whether
messages should be accepted or not. Something like matchers/denyers where
denyers deny the acceptance of a mail and supply the error code and message
that should be sent back to the client. This section might be rather slim
and fast so it could be processed synchronously by the SMTPHandler while the
client waits for a response. After the message is accepted it is inserted
into the spool and handled by the matchers/mailets. My insight into james
sources is not too deep so I can't judge if this meant a big change and I
also don't know if this suggestion complies with james philosophy. Any
thoughts?

Regards,
Thomas