james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Thomas Jachmann" <hot...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: SMTP RFCs
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 14:21:13 GMT
Philipp Taprogge wrote:
> Being a network administrator myself, I fear that jamses policy of
> accepting all messages and then silently dropping those it does not like
> will be like hell when looking for misconfigurations...

Another thing to consider is that james is more likely to be liable to DOS
attacks. You don't have to send as many fake requests to the server to
overstress it when you can send large mails or mails with attachments as
when you can only send MAIL FROM and RCPT TO and the server closes the
connection because it immediatly determines that it won't relay your
message. The way it works now - james accepting each mail, storing it,
inserting it into the spool and then denying unwanted messages - results in
much higher bandwith and storage space consumption. I know that this
behavior is wanted since one main goal is making james as configurable as
possible, so everything was handled within the spool via matchers/mailets.
But james would still be that configurable if you'd have two 'spools' -
matchers/denyers and matchers/mailets.

Regards,
Thomas