james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: SMTP RFCs
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 05:12:16 GMT
Steve,

Are you volunteering to audit SMTP[Handler|Server].java against RFC 2821?
;-)

I'll give you a start: "Hence, implementations that return 500 or 502 for
VRFY are not in full compliance with this specification."  Seeing as how
James does not support VRFY, it is not in full compliance.

More seriously, JAMES is in violation of Section 7.7:

"Some sites have decided to limit the use of the relay function
to known or identifiable sources, and implementations SHOULD
provide the capability to perform this type of filtering.  When mail
is rejected for these or other policy reasons, a 550 code SHOULD be
used in response to EHLO, MAIL, or RCPT as appropriate."

In other words, it is a violation of section 7.7 to accept e-mail, and then
discard SPAM later.  Compliance with that section requires architectural
change.  Filtering will have to be done in-line with the handler, while it
is still possible to return a response to the SMTP client.

Shooting from the hip, I'm thinking that it would be nice if the SMTP
handler could wait while the processing chain did its thing, and then get
client.  That keeps the matcher/mailet structure in place, but brackets it
within the scope of the SMTP handler, rather than temporally sequential.

	--- Noel