james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Local vs Remote delivery failures
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2002 15:51:01 GMT
Yeah, I like that idea of a bounce processor for the RemoteDelivery.

So the thing is, the LocalDelivery mailet DOESN'T handle a bounce
condition.  The process that calles LocalDelivery is supposed to check
that this is a valid mailbox before calling LocalDelivery to store it...
the code you are looking at in LocalDelivery (that's sending it to the
error processor) should only get used if the mail repository is corrupt
or there's some other configuration error.  You use a matcher before
calling LocalDelivery so that you can then handle delivering to default
mailboxes or a custom bounce or what-have-you.

RemoteDelivery also has a few states and additional info because it will
contain who it was trying to connect to and the error messages.
RemoteDelivery also has retries in certain cases, you actually have a
variety of "bounce"-esque conditions... I've seen some servers give a
warning notice when a message doesn't deliver immediately and gets put
in the try-again-later bucket.

Anyway, just some thoughts... please feel free to improve on it however
you think best.  I'm still too busy besides lurking and moderating. :(

--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com