james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Mailet Logging ==> Jakarta Commons (org.apache.commons.logging)
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2002 17:53:08 GMT
Noel, everyone

> What are your personal thoughts regarding adopting the Jakarta Commons
> Logging API?  That is what other Apache projects seem to be doing as the
> common denominator; it is, actually, its raisan d'etre.  It works with
> Log4J, JDK 1.4, Avalon LogKit, and can be hosted on any other logging
> implementation.

My opinion is sill the same, I don't believe that offering logging as part
of the API is a good idea because:

IMHO it violates the seperation of concerns between mail processing, our
concern, and logging, not our concern.

Anyone wanting enhanced logging capabilities can use any logging API they
choose within their mailets.

d.