james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Local vs Remote delivery failures
Date Fri, 06 Sep 2002 03:41:25 GMT
Why are these handled so differently?  I would have thought that there could
be a uniform means to bounce a failed e-mail, regardless of whether the
error occured locally, or came back as an error from the remote server or
JavaMail.

As I read the code, LocalDelivery just queues a new message in the
Mail.ERROR state from the original sender to the error-generating
recipients.  RemoteDelivery goes through a different process, but when it
finally decides that a message is permanent, it calls bounce.  That method
generates the bounce message, and calls MailetContext.bounce, which figures
out the return address from either Return-Path or Reply-To, and eventually
calls sendmail.

Why isn't the handling consistent?  And while I'm on the subject, why don't
we instrument both LocalDelivery and RemoteDelivery to accept an (optional)
processor name for delivery errors, so that people can write their own error
handling mailets?

[I'm guessing that since Serge and Federico wrote the original code, that
Serge is probably the only one who can answer the original intent question.]

	--- Noel