james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject Straw poll : FW: Projects to nudge into top-level ( was Re: Concern about the futureof Apache. )
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:58:45 GMT
I don't know how many, if any, commiters are also on the reorg@ list, but I thought I'd FW
this mail in case you're not.

To sumarise theres a feeling abroad that Apache should be less vertical and more horizontal
in its organisation, that Jakarta is unbalancing things by being so big, and that "The Apache
Way" is being diluted as a result (don't flame me I'm just passing it on ;).

To address this there has been a proposal that sub-projects can be elevated to full "xxxx.apache.org"
project status, and as you can see from the appended message James has been suggested as a
candidate.

This would involve James having its own PMC, and reporting to the board, and would benefit
from higher percieved "status".
Alternatively there is also a move afoot to allow self-categorisation of projects, removing
the benefit of "status" from the action of elevation to full project.

Now.. I don't know how long the internal machinations of reorg, or the Board will take, and
I would be a fool if I second guessed the outcome, but out of curiosity are we generally in
favour or opposed to being a top level project with our own elected PMC?

(I'll save my own opinion 'till I hear some others)
d.