james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: AvalonMailRepository key generation
Date Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:41:41 GMT
Hi Kwirirai,

Nice to hear from someone from Zimbabwe, I have a friend who lives near Chegutu.

As I understand it James encodes the mail UID, which is generated by the programme used to
create the mail, James uses JavaMail to create messages.
I suspect that the specification for this UID will state the limits of uniqueness required,
but I assume it will be something like "unique in the world" because mail moves from machine
to machine.

I believe that Mail clients rely on this UID and POP3's UIDL command in "leave messages on
the server" functionality, to prevent mail being downloaded twice and so on.

d.