james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject Socket Performance
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 21:53:43 GMT
In my opinion James socket problems would be greatly reduced in impact if James behaviour was
as follows..

connections are accepted
-> resources are consumed
-> limits are approached
-> connections are refused
-> resources are freed
-> connections are accepted

rather than the current situation which is that connections are accpeted until resources are
exhausted, and James never recovers.

In addition it concerns me that we can't run James under the -server JVM otpion on linux because
Avalon causes a failure (attached message)
Tomcat 3 under heavy and sustained load ends up with an out of memory exception, -server cures
it, largely because of the more agressive garbage collection.

In my opinion it is right for us to optimise our use of resources, but impossible to create
a server that will sustain any load applied, what we need to do is ensure that the server
will continue to function, even if this means rejecting connections.
This route will provide a scalable and robust solution.

d.