james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Steps to get IMAP starting
Date Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:48:23 GMT
> Yes, but as Noel said well last week, testing real-world client
> compliance and RFC compliance are somewhat separate things.

+1 I agree totally with Noels mail, there are RFC issues which affect almost no-one, which
have to be explicity tested, my example is quoted local part of mail addresses, and non-compliant
observed behaviour that affects almost everyone, the example being case-insensitive local
part.

I agree that we have to aim our testing regime, not soley for IMAP, at testing for compliance
based upon the published RFC's, and add higer level tests for observed behaviour.
Wherever there is a conflict between standard and expected behaviour James *must* support
the standard but *may* provide a switch to replace this with the non-standard behaviour.
AFAIK this has only occured once, in the case sensitivity of address local-parts, and was
handled successfully in the way I just described.