james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject Tests (was RE: cvs commit: jakarta-james/src/java/org/apache/james/testing BaseTest.java Main.java POP3Test.java TestMethod.java runtest.bat runtest.sh testconf.xml)
Date Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:38:01 GMT
> I was thinking a short sanity test
> suite, a longer regression test suite and a set of tests that mimick
> specific problems like memory leak or crash would be good.

I'm aiming to develop EndToEnd into a pre-release functionality testsuite, running a series
of transactions to confirm that the basic functionality of a build is working, executing this
test as part of the "build everything" task will ensure that releases are only made when James
is working.

> In the past there was talk about creating templates and running those
> templates as a record and replay mechanism. I was wondering what everyone
> thought of that.

I'd like to see a mechanism that'd allow us to create emails as plain text files, or complete
SMTP conversations, so that we could quickly create test cases to check handling of specific
protocol related issues, for instance some of the less common mail address syntax like quoted
local parts, and mail types like read-receipts.