james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Simeon Kirov" <ski...@worldnn.com>
Subject Extending basic James services (Virtual Hosting)
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 13:17:56 GMT
Hi all,

I know it's bad teasing you at release time, but could you consider this:

I developed some extension to James 2.1a1, which allows virtual hosting.
I decided to extend some of the basic James service classes like
org.apache.james.James, org.apache.james.pop3server.POP3ServerHandler,
org.apache.james.remotemanager.RemoteManagerHandler etc.

MY MAIN POINT is, that in order to make this I should redeclare almost all
private members of the respective classes as protected. Could you consider
in your future releases making those members protected by default? This will
make James extendable not only by mailets...

If you're interested in the exact implementation, look at the attached zip
file. It contains sources and modified configuration files.

Supported virtual hosts are defined in separate
<virtualHosts>...</virtualHosts> section in config.xml. Every virtual host
uses a separate Users and Inbox repository. Virtual POP3 boxes are accessed
through fully qualified user's e-mail address, i.e. user1@virtualhost.com.

RemoteManager is modified also to support this kind of virtual hosting, by
adding 3 new commands:

listhost, selecthost and activehost.

Fill free to use it, if you find it useful.

Simeon