james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release Plan
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2002 06:29:39 GMT
> That is why I was suggesting 2 branches. One focussed on
scalability(future)
> and another on stability(now) and separate releases focussed on these.

I believe that's the plan.  Soon as 2.1 is released, branch it so that we
can maintain 2.1, and do whatever is necessary on v3.

> There are some pieces I can contribute that have worked for me (I actually
> use these)
>   - Scheduler
>   - Better connection management and SSL library.

Just out of curiousity, how come you haven't submitted them earlier?  Do
they require more substantial changes?

> I think James should architect for scale. Maybe start with bare bones
> protocol handlers and add pieces only if they don't hamper scalability.

So you want to start with total freedom to redesign for v3, and then
incorporate (by rewriting as necessary) parts from 2.1 that fit?

> mailets/linear processors are powerful but what can be done to safely
> distribute processing across machines/processes.

What do you see as the issues?  I agree that there are some, but I'm not
sure that I see the same ones that you do.

	--- Noel