james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan Gerhard" <alan.gerh...@GerCom.Com>
Subject RE: postmaster configuration variable
Date Sun, 10 Nov 2002 23:03:57 GMT
i believe that the intent of having this variable defined is to be able to
handle/process mail that has been flagged as erroneous, or otherwise
undeliverable as well as being able to handle mail addressed to a particular
server's postmaster account...
weather or not an account is valid or not is irrelevant, just as long as one
exists.

alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Hontvari Jozsef [mailto:hontvari2@solware.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 10, 2002 5:54 PM
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: postmaster configuration variable

> It is a RFC violation to not have postmaster address. I think 2 or 3 RFC
> talk about this.

yes. (and not having abuse@... also). But what is the relation between the -
IMHO confused - postmaster configuration variable and the RFC requirement
for a postmaster account?

A valid postmaster account can be created without this variable, and an
invalid can exist while using this variable. I do not know what was the
original intent, but I think its meaning is overloaded now. If we want to
assure that the user wouldn't forget to add a postmaster account then a
simple forwarding mailet entry in the default configuration file would be
clearer.

<mailto:james-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org>