james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Peter M. Goldstein" <peter_m_goldst...@yahoo.com>
Subject Release Plan v2.1 (update)
Date Fri, 22 Nov 2002 02:52:30 GMT
All,

> Documentation and testing comprise the bulk of the remaining work.  We
> still need to carry out the following documentation tasks:
>
> i) Document the configuration files in toto.  Format the documentation
> consistently, as well as vet it for correctness.

In process.  Assigned to me.  I will be checking in some stuff tonight.

> ii) Document the top 5 items on the TODO list

In process.  Assigned to me.

> iii) Add FetchPOP documentation

I'd really like someone to contribute on this one.  Volunteers?

> iv) Produce a consistent documentation package for the 2.1 version
that
> details the product services, as well as the basic steps of
installation
> and configuration.
>
> Build tasks:
>
> i) Build a milestone build for testing.

Done.  And posted.

> ii) Adjust the CVS to allow future maintenance of the 2.1 branch while
> permitting radical change for the 3.0 revision.

I'd like a volunteer for this as well.  I'm not CVS saavy, but I'll do
it if I have to.  Basically I'd suggest that we form a release/2.1
directory off the base directory that contains all the necessary files
to build a 2.1 release.  This will allow bugfixing on that release.

> i) Run general tests on a variety of platforms.  We've already done a
> great deal of testing on both Windows and Linux platforms, but it
would
> be good to get a great deal more testing done before the official
> release.  We should look to our user base for potential testers.

The user base has started doing some testing.  A request for feedback
has been posted on the web site.  Not sure if anyone else wants to sign
up for more testing.

> ii) Test TLS support for POP3 and update the status from experimental
> stable.

Any volunteers?

> Marketing tasks:
>
> i) Produce a press release for distribution through channels
announcing
> both the release of 2.1 and inviting developers to participate in
> version 3.0.

In process.  Assigned to me.

> ii) Distribute this release through channels (i.e. Slashdot)

In process.  Assigned to me.

> iii) Ensure that we are listed on common sites that provide lists of
> available mail/news servers.

Any volunteers?

> I'm working on items i, ii, and iv on the documentation task list, as
> well as items i and iii on the marketing task list.  Anyone who wants
> step up for any of the other items, please do.  I'd like to ask Danny
> specifically to address the milestone build issue, since he has write
> access to the web site.  If he can get me such write access, I'd be
> happy to build and post the milestone build.

I haven't really gotten any response from any of the
committers/contributors to this request for contributions.  If we're
going to get this out the door, it's going to require some effort from a
number of interested parties.  I know this stuff doesn't interest most
of us (it certainly doesn't interest me) but it's part and parcel of
putting out an enterprise class product.

> Here's my desired schedule:
>
> November 4th, 2002 - Creation and posting of milestone build

Completed November 13th, 2002.

> November 4th-17th, 2002 - Testing period.  Aggressive testing of James
> under a variety of conditions.

Testing can be considered to be started November 13th, which would lead
to a close of this period on November 26th.  There has been some testing
to date,

> November 8th, 2002 - Documentation freeze, which requires completion
of
> all documentation tasks.

We're way off on this one.  :)

I'm still not done with the segments of documentation I signed up for,
and no one else has picked up the remainder.  I'd like to set a nominal
freeze date of November 26th, but unless we get some contributions,
that's not going to happen.

> November 15th, 2002 - Completion of press release, list of sites to
> which the release needs to be distributed.  Mail server info sites
> should be updated with links at this point.

I'd say this should be November 30th.  But it depends on all the earlier
steps.  And hence depends on people contributing.

> November 18th, 2002 - Release.  Update of web site to reflect newly
> released version.  Distribution of press release to sites should be
> completed immediately after release.

I'd say December 2nd for this.  But again, this depends on everyone
stepping up and contributing.

Thoughts?  Replies?  Anyone?  :)

--Peter

P.S.: I understand that Thanksgiving falls in the middle of this, but
there just isn't that much left to do.  One last push should get us over
the edge.